Monday, September 29, 2008

Sommore: Holding Royal Court, Her Own Way

When it comes to donning the crown as reigning "Queen of Comedy," Trenton, New Jersey bred funnywoman Sommore is 'standing' in a league of her own. Hence, the title of the comedienne's new DVD 'The Queen Stands Alone,' which arrives in stores this week.Written, produced and directed by Sommore and One Thousand Kisses, Inc., 'The Queen Stands Alone' is not only a career milestone for the actress-comedian, but it places her alongside Sarah Silverman as one of the highest paid female comedians on the Comedy Central network, where is debuted earlier this month."This is a show that I've waited oh so long to do," the first-time producer/director said. "I had other offers to do this at different times but I turned them down because I felt that I wasn't ready at that point in my career." Sommore: Loving Oprah Sommore loves Oprah but hates Gayle.The long-awaited concert special, filmed in Louisville, Kentucky, inspired Sommore to take matters into her own hands by financing, marketing, and distributing the special. "I really challenged myself with this special. I took my own money and I produced it, I shot it myself, and I sold it. I taped it last year and it's fabulous."But don't be surprised, the 'Soul Plane' actress had business acumen before she made it big in the stand-up arena. Sommore first gained her entrepreneurial skills while attending Atlanta's Morris Brown College."I knew that education would be important because my mother always stressed that. So I went to Morris Brown College in Atlanta and I earned a degree in business administration, with a minor in mathematics," she revealed. "After college, I worked for a head hunting company and I made good money because I could sell.""I did retail for a little while," actress Nia Long's half-sister continued. "I owned a clothing store first; then I owned a store that sold African food. I've also owned a shoe store, which I just sold two years ago. I've always been an entrepreneur. I am a comedienne, but I'm a businesswoman first-I really am."And to hear the queen tell it, she's going to continue circulating her own money to produce forthcoming projects, including a documentary about teenage lesbians."I'm going to use my own money and do other projects that feature my talent," she explained. "I refuse to wait for Hollywood to validate me and my talent. I know that I'm talented. I have to give myself other things to do.""I'm also thinking about doing a reality show," she added. "I'm thinking of doing a show like '[Kathy Griffith: My Life on the D List].' I want to show people my life-and hope that they don't become bored."Sommore's 'The Queen Stands Alone' re-airs on Comedy Central September 30 at 10PM ET.



http://www.blackvoices.com/blogs/2008/09/29/sommore-holding-royal-court-her-own-way/

No comments: